The combination of watermelon and feta cheese is just great – and seems to be one of the culinary trends of this summer, quite present in the food magazines and blogs. Eva has already shared her recipe for grilled watermelon-feta skewers, and when I recently discovered this grilled watermelon salad recipe in a Swedish magazine, I put it on the menu for my next BBQ invitation. It was a roaring success, the addition of mint, arugula, honey and lemon resulted in a delicious refreshing summer salad. I will for sure make it again.
The melon needs only 2-3 minutes on the grill and should be served relatively quickly after grilling, as it will drain quite a lot – and a soggy watermelon salad is the last thing you want. Just let it cool down a little bit before arranging it on the arugula leaves.
Recipe for Grilled Watermelon Salad with Mint, Arugula and Feta Cheese
- 1/2 Watermelon
- 70g arugula salad
- 1 bunch of mint
- 200g feta cheese
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 2 spring onions
- salt flakes
- 1/2 lemon
- 200ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- freshly ground pepper
- For the dressing, zest the lemon and extract the juice
- Mix zest, juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Roast pumpkin seeds in a frying pan (without oil) until golden brown.
- Cut spring onions in thin rings, cut or crumble feta into small pieces.
- Cut the melon into thick slices.
- Grill the slices on direct heat 1-2 minutes on each side. Cut the skin off and cut watermelon into cubes.
- Arrange arugula leaves on a large plate and slightly cooled off melon cubes on top.
- Sprinkle mint leaves, crumbled feta cheese, spring onions and pumpkin seeds over the salad.
- Add dressing and serve immediately.