In May or June, when the sun is not freezing anymore and when its sunrays are finally warm and energetic enough to heat the already impatient sunbathers and those who became weary of the cold season, then it is also the time for the first regional, bright red, juicy and sweet strawberries.
I like them pure with some sugar, which generates a fine sirup (I recommend to do so, if you intend to eat them the following day, because of the preserving effect of sugar). Also try some liqueur – I often add Cointreau. Roughly squashed with some milk, it brings back memories of our childhood, which we often passed at our grandparents house. For the health-conscious among us, buttermilk is a good alternative, which is low in calories and very tasty. If you like, add some sugar/honey, cinnamon, banana…
Strawberry cake, strawberry punch, strawberry smoothy – strawberries are great and I love them in any kind – let your imagination run wild! Last week I combined them with chocolate and vanilla – a perfect trilogy!
I do not want to deprive you of this recipe, which I found once again in my magazine ‘Essen und Trinken’. Here it is:
Ingredients for 4:
- 25 g almond slivers
- 100 g dark chocolate coating (55% of cocoa)
- 50 g whole milk chocolate coating
- 40 g corn flakes
- 2 sheets of white gelatine
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2 egg yolks
- 30 g sugar
- 100 ml milk
- 150 ml whipping cream
- Marinated strawberries
- 500 g strawberries
- 5 tbsp orange juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
You also need some baking paper
- Start with the almonds and roast them without fat in a pan until they become gold – brown. Chop the two kinds of chocolate coating and let them melt in a metal bowl in a hot water bath.Add the almond slivers and the corn flakes.Spread the mass on the baking paper and let it cool down in the fridge.
- For the mousse soak the gelatine in cold water. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and extract the core. With the help of a handheld electric mixer, you can now mix the vanilla core, the egg yolks and the milk in a metal bowl over a hot water bath until it gets thick and creamy. Stop shortly before the mass starts boiling! Remove the bowl from the hot water bath, express the gelatine and add it to the cream. Stir well, so that it can dissolve properly.Put the bowl into ice water in order to cool it down quite quickly. I put it in the fridge but it is very important to keep an eye on it and stir regularly.
- As soon as the mousse gets thicker (this happens quite quickly and suddenly!) fold in the already whipped cream carefully. It is a little tricky to fold in the cream in the right moment. Put the mousse in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Wash the strawberries and cut them in thin slices. Mix the orange juice, the lemon zest and juice and the powdered sugar. Mix the marinade with the strawberries.
- Layer the mousse, the chocolate crisps and the strawberries one after another – for example in a wine glass – and serve it.
I think, next time, I will make a little more vanilla mousse, to be in due proportion to the rest – but try this yourself!