An exotic alternative option for your next BBQ
I discovered this sweet potato salad recipe during our recent trip to Stockholm, where we visited our friends Katarina and Karsten. This is only one of Katarina’s recipes I want to post – I already have a shortlist of some other really nice dishes she prepared, including some delicious dairy-free banana pancakes… stay tuned!
One of the evenings in Stockholm we grilled some nice steaks and Katarina had chosen the sweet potato salad recipe as a side dish – and it was super tasty! The sweet potatoes need to be grilled for about 1h before preparing the salad – so that’s something to keep in mind… but the rest of the salad and the dressing are quickly prepared. With the lime juice and the subtle coconut flavor, I can also imagine this sweet potato salad as a great combination with grilled fish or chicken.
Recipe for sweet potato salad with lime and coconut
- 800g sweet potatoes
- 100ml olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small romaine lettuce
- 4 spring onions
- 2 limes (50ml lime juice)
- 1 1/2 tbsp liquid honey
- 30g coconut rasps
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them in 1cm thick slices. Mix with half the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap them into aluminium foil, so that you get a large flat package. Grill on direct heat for 1h.
- Wash the lettuce and divide into small pieces. Slice spring onions into thin rings.
- Wash the limes, zest them and extract the juice. Mix lime zest, juice, honey and the remaining olive oil to a dressing and season with pepper and salt.
- Toast the coconut rasps in a dry hot pan until golden brown.
- Arrange salad and (slightly cooled down) sweet potatoes on a large plate, sprinkle spring onions and add dressing. Garnish with coconut rasps and serve immediately.