Or why we should simply eat more brain food
Our Sunday newspaper has currently been publishing a food series. Every week they cover a certain aspect of nutrition or anything related to food. Love it and inspired me for this sun wheat avocado tomato salad!Every time I learn something new. Last week was about fatty acids and how they stimulate our health. Since I am not the expert at all I will make it short and definitely leave the detailed, nutritional posts to Katja, who knows much more about these things.
The article was about Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Both are essential for our health, but nowadays there is way too much Omega 6 fatty acids in our food, which can have a negative effect on our body, health and even mental state. They have run tests and showed that countries with more Omega 3 fatty acids and less Omega 6 fatty acids in breast milk have a better ranking in the Pisa study! Among other positive effects, Omega 3 fatty acids are good for our brain, whereas Omega 6 fatty acids can negatively influence our cognitive capability. Although I am quite conscious about food and what I eat, the article really motivated me to pay more attention to a healthy nutrition and simply eat more “brain food”. The salad was the first act of my resolution and was also a great lunch at work! Here a quick summary of the products the article recommended to eat and recommended to avoid, this is nothing really new, but sometimes it is good to visualise it 🙂
|Walnuts||Deep frozen convenience food|
And here’s the rather basic recipe for not only a healthy but also very tasty salad – and the best of it, it doesn’t give you the typical post-lunch low!
- 60g instant sun-wheat
- 1 Avocado
- Bunch of cherry tomatoes (or during summer the normal ones)
- Handful of roasted walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- Handful of fresh rocket
- 4 Tbsp oil of your choice
- 1-2 Tbsp vinegar
- Salt, pepper
- Put the sun-wheat into a pot with boiling water. Let it swell until firm to the bite. Pour the rest of water. Cool down.
- Gently roast the walnuts and pumpkin seeds in a pan without oil.
- Cut the tomatoes and the avocados.
- Wash the rocket.
- Mix everything and season with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper
- Tip: If you take the salad to work add some lemon juice and keep the avocado stain in the salad bowl to avoid the avocado turning brown.