An asia-inspired tomato soup recipe
Given the amount heavy meals we had in the past weeks, I thought it’s time for some lighter dishes. The plan is to stick to soups and salad next week – and this spicy tomato soup is a really good one.
And the crispy shrimp spring rolls fit very well but can easily be exchanged by grilled shrimps if you prefer it even lighter. I like the idea of serving soups in glasses – it makes them look a little bit more special. For this tomato soup with its many spices and flavours I think a preserving jar with lid and rubber seal is just perfect – you can serve it closed and when it’s opened at the table, a mouth-watering cloud of flavours escape…
Recipe for spicy tomato soup with crispy shrimp rolls
For 6 200ml glasses
For the soup:
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chili pepper
- 3 stalks of lemongrass
- 40g ginger
- 1tpsp olive oil
- 2kg very ripe tomatoes (or equivalent amount of canned tomatoes)
- 750ml vegetable stock
- fish sauce
- brown sugar
- lime juice
For the shrimp rolls:
- 8 tiger prawns without shell
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1/2 finely diced red chili pepper
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 8 springroll wrappers
- 1 egg yolk
- oil to deep fry (coconut or peanut oil work well)
- For the tomato soup, dice shallots, garlic, lemon grass and ginger finely. Slice chili pepper in very thin match sticks. Fry in very hot oil.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and add vegetable stock.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar and let simmer for 30 minutes. Pass through a not too fine sieve (I used a food mill/ “Flotte Lotte” which worked very well). Season with lime juice and potentially more fish sauce.
- For the shrimp rolls, chop the shrimps finely. Mix with egg white, ginger, lemongrass, basil, chili pepper and fish sauce.
Brush the edges of the springroll wrappers with egg yolk.
- Put one tbsp of shrimp mix on each wrapper and fold over the sides and roll tightly.
- Fry in hot oil (ca. 180°C) until golden brown, take out and place on a plate with kitchen paper.
- Pour tomato soup in glasses, garnish with basil leaves. Serve crispy spring rolls on the side.
This is a recipe from one of my favourite cooking books: “Alles klar” by Tanja Grandits. She presents a lot of great recipes – and everything is either prepared or served in glasses.