Only one week til the first sunday of advent – the countdown to Christmas has definitely started. Have you already started thinking about your Christmas dinner? For the next couple of weeks we are planning to provide you with some simple, but impressive courses for your christmas dinner. Either well to prepare in advance, or, like this scallop recipe, very quickly made. These scallops take about 15 minutes to prepare – without a hurry, and if you buy some nice and fresh scallops in the shell, you get a pretty “serving plate” at the same time. The most tricky thing of the whole recipe is probably to remove the scallop from its shell… and even that is not hard, if you know how to do it and if you have an oyster knive to open the shell (just like with mussels or oysters, you should make sure that they are still closed when you purchase them). I found the following short film, which describes the process of shelling a scallop very well.
How to remove a scallop from its shell?
So no need to worry that the recipe is too complicated or keeps you away from the Christmas dining table for too long – and up to you if you serve one scallop per person as a small appetizer, or a couple of them as a starter.
- 12 scallops
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp freshly chopped mint leaves
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp butter
- Shell the scallops (as described in the video above) and wash the shells and the meat. Dry the meat well. Pre-heat the shells in the oven at 180°C.
- Cut the chili pepper in small pieces and mix it with the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and the chopped herbs.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and fry the scallops at medium to high heat for 2-3 minutes (you can see that the meat turns from transparent to white, when it's white until almost the middle of the scallop, time to turn them). Turn them and fry for about one more minute. Add the butter and after a few seconds, take the scallops out.
- Put one scallop in each pre-heated shell, garnish with the sauce and serve immediately.