As our loyal readers might know by now, I have a special (aka professional) relation to sweetcorn, chickpeas, beans and other types of pulses and vegetables… And even though I am not a big user of canned vegetables at all (leaving the sweetcorn for the kids aside), I must admit that I have become a huge fan of our canned chickpeas and beans since I work for Bonduelle. It just takes away the hassle of putting the beans into water for soaking the evening before you want to use them, and the fact that the Bonduelle chickpeas and beans have been steamed instead of cooked leaves them super crispy – and not mashy and damaged at all.
Besides being healthy (providing lots of proteins, keeping the blood sugar stable, …) beans and chickpeas are tasty and filling, and thanks to the convenience benefit of the can, they provide a lot of options for quickly prepared dinners…
So here is how I tricked my kids into chickpeas: I simply mix them with a little olive oil and salt flakes and roast them in the oven until golden and crunchy. For the adults I added some spices, and there were gone in no time… Definitely a good alternative for those moments when the craving for some crisps hits in!
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt flakes
- spices of your choice (e.g. paprika powder, pulbiber or ras-el-hanout)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them with water. Put on a towel to dry.
- Mix chickpeas, olive oil, salt and spices and spread evenly on a baking tray with baking paper.
- Put in the oven and roast the chickpeas until golden and crunchy (ca. 15-20 mins). If not yet crunchy enough, use the grill function for a couple of minutes.