Although Mother’s Day is almost over we wanted to share this quick recipe with you! Nothing is better than self-made presents and since the summer season, with (hopefully) many BBQ invitations, is just around the corner, this Syrup will for sure bring a smile on every hosts face!
What I like most about Rhubarb is the sourish flavor which equally matches sweet and savory. The syrup is quick to prepare and nonpersihable due to its high amount of sugar. Make a child-friendly summer drink and mix it up with water or a fruity summer cocktail with Prosecco for example. It is definitely a nice-to-have-in-the-fridge for spontaneous after work drinks!
Tipp: Instead of Rhubarb, take strawberries, oranges or any other seasonal fruits or vegetables.
The recipe is for around 1 litre of syrup.
- 1200 g Rhubarb
- 500 g sugar
- 100 g vanille sugar
- ½ litre water
- juice of one lemon or lime
- Clean the Rhubarb and cut off the ends and tops (don't peel the Rhubarb, you will need the red skin for the fancy colour of the syrup!)
- Cut in small pieces and put in a big pot with the water. Bring to boil and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes until the Rhubarb becomes soft and squashy.
- Pour through a sieve and collect the Rhubarb juice.
- Add the sugar and bring to boil for another 10 minutes.
- Pour the syrup in clean and sterile bottles. Close them and keep them in the fridge.