A dairy free cake recipe
My dear darling is having his birthday today! Like every year I spent the night before in the kitchen to surprise him with a birthday cake the next morning. Since this time he wanted to take something to work as a special treat for his team I simply baked two cakes: One for the office, one for him…and of course for the blog:-)
I wanted to bake something seasonal and I’ve found this really amazing dairy-free pumpkin chocolate cake recipe on www.mitohnekochen.com. In my eyes dairy-free baking is rather challenging. Butter is THE flavour carrier and I have baked many dairy-free cakes in the past…Many times when I had to replace butter with margarine or milk with soy milk it somehow tasted awkward or dry. But this recipe I have to admit is great! The cake turned out very juicy and rich in flavor and the pumpkin gave it the special something…Just received a text from Hubert that the cake at work is already finished 🙂
- 5 eggs
- 250g margarine
- 200g sugar
- 125 ml rice-almond milk (or soy milk)
- 250g flower
- 150g powdered almonds
- 120 g dark chocolate (75%)
- 250g pumpkin
- 1 bag of baking soda
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 dash of salt
- dark chocolate glaze
- 1 buttered ring cake tin
- Powder the almonds if still necessary
- Chop the chocolate with a sharp knife or in a chopping machine
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds and the pulp in the middle, rasp the pumpkin
- Grate 1 tsp of lemon zest
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 °C
- Mix the eggs with the sugar until frothy
- Add the salt and the lemon zest
- Stir in the soft margarine and milk
- Mix the pumpkin, flower, almonds, baking powder and chocolate and add to the the egg mass. Mix well
- Pour the dough into the ring tin.
- Bake for at least 50 Minutes. Test with a thin skewer if the dough is baked thoroughly.
- Take out the oven and let the cake cool down.
- Overthrough the cake and remove the ring tin
- Cover with hot chocolate glaze and when dry sprinkle some sugaring powder on top.