What a great start of a summer! Sunshine, temperatures around 25°C already in May and early June – and this here in Denmark! To be frank, even after over 3 years up here, I miss the more southern climate of Switzerland a lot. But right now – no way! Rather than bearing the 36°C currently in Germany and Switzerland, we are enjoying a perfect summer start. And I think during the last week we broke a record – BBQ in 5 out of 6 days. And three out of three daily meals outside!
We enjoyed having Uwe, Antje and their dog Lilly visiting from Cologne during the pentecost weekend. Given the great weather, we spent most of the time outside with the dogs and had relatively little time to prepare for our daily meat-fix…We enjoyed fresh German sausages from the grill, ribs and also juicy pork chops.
We normally don’t eat a lot of pork, but in the BBQ season, our consumption peaks. One of my favourites are marinated pork chops, with a marinade I remember from good old times in our garden in Germany, when I was still a kid. An absolute classic recipe of my dad, and always well-received. Best with some fresh bread and grilled sweetcorn-cobs. Without many more words (will be back on the terrace soon to enjoy the nice long summer evening) – here is how:
Recipe for pork chops with Papa’s marinade
for 4-6 pork chops
- 4-6 pork chops (I prefer the streaky ones from the neck, about 150g each)
- 250ml tomato ketchup
- 20ml rapeseed oil
- 50ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- ground black pepper
- Squeeze the garlic cloves using a knife and some salt. Cut the spring onions into thin rings.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Put pork chops and marinade in a plastic bag, close it tightly and mix the content well. Let marinade for at least an hour, the longer the better.
- Grill on direct heat – until done, but still juicy.
Yummie… have to do that again soon!