…and what else you find in the fridge
I don’t always have time for complex cooking. Besides our jobs and my love for cooking and blogging there must be some spare time for other things as well, like sports, meeting friends and family and sometimes just being a couch potato…And although we do invite friends for dinner quite often, I sometimes also like to keep it simple and not spend too much time in the kitchen while everyone outside is having a good time!
For all those reasons, last Sunday it was time for a simple dish… Although we did not go grocery shopping I figured I’d have the ingredients for a nice pasta salad. I love pasta salad! There is always something you have at home, which you can add to a pasta salad. And since we just came back from my mother’s house, I was the lucky one with a fresh and home made basil pesto in my pockets 🙂 So I wouldn’t even need to prepare the dressing by myself, nice! My mother simply blended fresh basil with olive oil. Since there is no cheese added, you can keep it for a while and when you need it just add additional ingredients. For the pasta salad I was fine with the plain basil pesto.
Recipe for Pasta salat with basil pesto
- 300 g pasta (Penne or Fussili)
- 3 tsps of basil pesto
- 2 Tbsp pine seeds
- 70 gr bacon
- Fresh tomatoes or/and dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Dried chili
- Fresh Basil
- Bring water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente, then let cool down
- Roast the pine seeds in a pan without oil, take aside
- Cut the bacon in small cubes or slices and roast in a pan, also without oil. Put aside and let cool down on a piece of paper towel. It will soak the excessive fat and make the bacon more crispy.
- Finely slice the garlic and slowly roast it in a pan, take aside and let cool down. Chop roughly.
- Cut the fresh tomatoes
- Mix the pasta with the basil pesto until it is equally covered. Then add all other ingredients and season with salt, pepper and chili.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
If you want to reduce the carbs and make the salad a little lighter you can also add some arugula and less pasta.
Enjoy and let us know if you liked it!