No? Well, then it´s about time! Claudia ate pineapple with chili, salt and sugar once in Thailand. Simple street food, but delicious! The combination of sweet, sour, salty and spicy will carry you away. The perfect finale to a rich a BBQ meal.
While the preparation is far from complicated, you should know how much salt and sugar to use. Since there was no recipe to rely on, we thought we just put some salt into a bowl, mix it with chili and sugar and dipped the pineapple into the mixture. Wooohooo! Do you know the feeling of having too much salt in your mouth? Not good! So we´ve drastically reduced the amount of salt and decided to only sprinkle it over the pineapple sticks in the end. Much better!
But I will start from the beginning:
Recipe for grilled pineapple with chili, salt and sugar
- 1/2 pineapple
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 small, red chili
- some brown sugar
You also need:
- Small bambus sticks to spike the pineapple pieces
1. Soak bambus sticks in water about one hour before you start grilling
2. Finely chop the chili. If still fresh, let it dry a bit e.g. above the heating to avoid the salt getting wet from the chili juice
3. Prepare the grill for direct heat
4. Peel the pineapple
5. Cut in cubes (ca. 2 cm)
6. Spike the pineapple cubes onto the bambus sticks 7. Spread some brown sugar on them
8. Grill the pineapple cubes until caramelised
9. When ready, slightly sprinkle the salt mixture on them
Close your eyes and enjoy this fantastic, aromatic, hot dessert!
Sidenote: I can imagine that this would also taste very well with grilled mango. Maybe I will try this one soon!