An appetizer with the certain something
Last year when I visited Claudia and her family in Copenhagen we went to southern Sweden to celebrate Midsummer with good friends of them. Besides the traditional Midsummer food like pickled herring and lots of schnaps they also served watermelon sticks with feta cheese. It was the first time I had this combination and I quite liked it!
And even better, it inspired me to create this extended version of it: Grilled watermelon with feta cheese, olive oil and pepper. The warm watermelon tastes a bit more veggie-like than raw and it harmonises very will with the feta cheese and olive oil. The freshly ground pepper gives it the certain something. You can hand it as finger food or also put it into a salad or serve it as a side dish for some BBQ meat. It really is up to you! I think the finger food variation is quite nice.
Since the water melon needs more time on the barbecue than the feta, I recommend to grill the water melon cubes separately first for 3-4 minutes and then skew them, together with the feta, on a wooden stick.
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
You also need some wooden skewers, which should be soaked in water before putting on the grill
1. Cut the watermelon and feta cheese in 1-2 cm cubes
2. Grill the water melon cubes for 3-4 mins
3. Prepare the skewers with the water melon and feta cheese ( for the finger food version I took two cubes of watermelon and one feta cube)
4. Grill on direct heat for about 5 minutes
5. Place on a small plate and add some olive oil and pepper