When I was browsing in my new favourite cookbook “If I were your wife” recently, I stumbled over a recipe for Corn Pancakes. “Ideal for the kids” was my first thought – as they love pancakes and they love sweetcorn. Looking at the ingredients list in more detail, I saw they also contain chopped shrimps and coconut milk – again two things Lea and Lukas like. But as it is, kids are not really predictable – they did NOT like the corn pancakes. But I did. And had a huge stack of them, topped with a spicy Guacamole, which was a perfect combination.
What took most time was actually preparing the shrimps. Different from the original recipe I had decided to go ahead with fresh raw shrimps instead of cooked frozen ones. Those need to be peeled and deveined, and that takes some time. If needed, you can find some really clear instructions how to do that here. The rest of the work is easily done. I like the idea of making the pancakes with coconut milk – there’s another nice recipe for sweet coconut pancakes I have posted before. I used the “light” coconut milk version – which you can find in almost every supermarket here in Denmark – that makes the dish a little less heavy.
Guacamole as addition to the corn pancakes was also my own interpretation – the original version is with Avocado slices. I liked the spicy taste and the creamy consistency of the Guacamole with the corn pancakes, but if you are up for alternatives, sweet chili sauce or a creme-fraiche based topping would fit equally well.
- 500 g raw shrimps
- 500 g sweet corn
- 2 eggs
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- 300 g flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel and devein the shrimps (click here for instructions), then chop them coarsely.
- Whisk the eggs with half of the coconut milk. Add flour and salt and continue whisking until the batter is smooth and free of lumps before adding the remaining coconut milk. Then let the batter rest for about 30 minutes (prepare the Guacamole in the meantime).
- Stir in the shrimps and corn.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan and fry small pancakes over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Serve warm with the Guacamole.
- 3 ripe avocados
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 garlic cloves
- fresh coriander
- Cut the avocados and put the flesh into a bowl.
- Add lime juice, spices and the finely chopped garlic cloves
- Using a fork, mash the avocados coarsely - the Guacamole should not be too smooth. Season to taste.
- Serve with the pancakes.