For our FoodFamily Christmas Eve menu the first course was supposed to be something special and creative, but at the same time not too heavy since we would have our annual roasted goose to feast on afterwards…
We decided on a starter in a glass, which would not only look good, but could also be prepared very well in advance. The exotic flavors like ginger, fish sauce and curcuma were a nice contrast to the traditional meal afterwards. It was a real success and we can’t wait to prepare it again! The fruity, slightly acid and spicy orange jelly in the bottom, together with the mild curcuma sour cream was literally an explosion of taste! The aromatic and Asian style shrimp topping gave it the rest and made this starter a real STARter 🙂
The preparation is simple with a twist. You need a little patience when you melt the sugar for the jelly at low to medium temperature. The sugar should not be stirred while caramelizing and be careful that it doesn’t burn! Just before it happens, you deglaze everything with the juices. It also takes some time to solidify, but the good thing is, you can make everything ready before and simply serve it without “à la minute” stress.
- Shrimp salad
- 300 g of large shrimps, peeled, intestine removed
- 2 oranges
- 2 red chili, pitted
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 dash of sugar
- 75 g sugar
- 3 oranges and 1 lemon (untreated)
- 100 ml of water
- 4 sheets of gelatine, soaked in cold water
- 2 red chilis, pipped
- 3 drops of chili oil
- Sour cream mousse
- 150 g sour cream
- 100 g of crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp of cream
- 1 dash of curcuma
- Cut the shrimps in small pieces.
- Fillet the oranges and cut in small cubes.
- Finely chop the chili.
- Grate the zest of the lime and press out the juice.
- Grate the garlic clove and the peeled ginger.
- Shortly fry the shrimps in hot oil and mix it with all the ingredients. Take aside and let cool down.
- Grate the zest of the three oranges and lemon for the jelly. Press out the juice.
- Melt the sugar and deglaze with orange, lemon juice and water. Add ⅔ of the lemon and orange zest. Reduce to ca. 100 ml and dissolve the gelatine in it. Sieve everthing.
- Chop the chili and add it together with the remaining zest and the chili oil to the jelly. Pour the jelly in six glasses. Put everyting into the fridge until the jelly is solidified.
- Mix the sour cream and the crème fraîche.
- Warm up the cream and add the curcuma and the salt. Dissolve the gelatine in it. Pour the warm cream into the sour cream mass. Mix well and pour on top of the orange-chili jelly. Put it again into the fridge until the cream becomes solid.
- Arrange the shrimp salad on top of the mousse. Garnish it with fine stripes of chili and orange zests.
For this recipe we got inspired by Tanja Grandits’ amazing cook book “Alles klar”.