If you have kids at about the same age as mine (4 and 6), you might face the same recurring problem: what to make for dinner. Especially with little time between coming home from work and dinner time, I find myself making the same things over and over – the repertoire consists of a range of maybe 10 things I know they like and are not too unhealthy. Variations of Pasta, Pizza, soups, sometimes fish or Tortillas, sandwiches etc. The kids seem to be fine with it, but I find it a bit boring myself.
So why not involve the kids in making the dinner plan for the week? Lea is currently really interested… she already owns 2 kids cooking books which shes studies thorougly and even though the dishes are not overly creative either, they are something different. Our latest joint dinner creation were these home-made Chicken Nuggets with Cornflakes breading and French Fries from the oven. She had already made the nuggets with my mother during her vacation in Switzerland and was so proud that she could teach me how to make them 🙂
Ok, it might not be the most healthy dinner (my sister Katja, who is a nutrition coach, might have something to say here…) – but for sure better than the bought version and deep-fried fries… so give it a try and let your little ones get their hands dirty – they will love it!
- 300g chicken breast
- 150g flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ pack corn flakes
- Ghee or peanut oil for frying
- 8 large potatoes
- Rapeseed oil
- Salt flakes
- freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into sticks. Put them in cold water, add some salt and bring them to boil for about 5 minutes. Let them cool down (or rinse with cold water). Mix them with some rapeseed oil and salt flakes and distribute them evenly on a baking tray with baking paper. Put into the oven and bake until golden (turn in-between).
- Slice the chicken breast in even pieces, about 5mm thick.
- Prepare three plates for the breading: one with flour (mixed with some salt and pepper), one with the whisked eggs and one with crumbled cornflakes. Heat a pan and add a good amount of ghee or peanut oil.
- Bread the Chicken Nuggets: first put them into the flour, then coat them with the whisked eggs. Finally, turn them in the crumbled cornflakes and fry in the oil on both sides until golden and crispy. Put on a plate with kitchen towel that can absorbe the oil and keep warm until the remaining Chicken Nuggets are fried.
- Serve the Chicken Nuggets with the French Fries, some ketchup and healthy additions of your choice... and enjoy!