I’m dreaming of a white Pizza…
It’s Friday – Pizza day, as you might already know by now. We still stick to our tradition of making Pizza together with the kids (almost) every Friday, and we still like it a lot. But we are also really looking for some variation from time to time. So whilst Lea and Lukas stick to their favourites (Pizza Marguerita and Pizza with ham), I started to experiment and make Pizzas “with a twist”. Just like this Beetroot Pizza Bianca. Pizza Bianca (=”white Pizza”) seems to become more popular – more and more places offer this Pizza without the traditional tomato sauce base, but with just cheese and other toppings, or no toppings at all. A nice version is for example goat cheese and thin potato slices with rosemary. In case you live in Copenhagen (or plan to visit), I can really recommend a great place for really tasty Pizza Bianca: Gorm’s Pizza.
Whilst strolling through the supermarket earlier today, I felt like having some beetroot… but no, it’s Pizza day. But why not? So the idea of a Beetroot Pizza Bianca came up – with a base of fresh, creamy goat cheese, beetroot slices and some more mature goat cheese and arugula. It was a good idea – even though I must admit that my “white Pizza” didn’t really look so white after all 🙂
The nice thing about our Pizza Fridays is that it is a really quickly prepared dish, 3 weeks out of 4. As described here, in my first Pizza post, I make a big batch of Pizza dough once a month, roll it out and put each Pizza base on baking paper before stacking them and putting them in the freezer. That way you only need to take the amount of Pizza bases out when you need them – they unfreeze in 5 minutes – then add the toppings of your choice and bake it at 250°C for a few minutes… done! A frozen Pizza from the supermarket does not take much less time.
- 2 pizza base according to this recipe
- 1 red beetroot
- 3 spring onions
- 150g fresh, creamy goat cheese
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 mature goat cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 branches of thyme
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- Pre-heat the oven to 250°C, with a pizza stone inside, if available.
- Mix the fresh goat cheese with the milk until it's smooth and creamy. Spread it evenly on the Pizza base and season with black pepper and thyme leaves.
- Slice the beetroot very thinly (ideally using a mandoline). Add the olive oil and some salt flakes and mix well until all beetroot slices are covered with the oil. Then distribute the beetroot slices on the pizza base.
- Cut the mature goat cheese in pieces and add it to the pizza.
- Place the pizza on the hot pizza stone (or a hot baking tray) in the oven and bake it for ca. 10 minutes until the crust gets golden brown.
- Take out the Beetroot Pizza, add the arugula on top and sprinkle the vinegar over it.
- Serve immediately